Make this awesome Thermomix Lamington Swiss Roll perfectly in time for Australia Day. It is super easy to prepare and stores well in the fridge.
There are so many ways to make a Swiss roll more interesting but this Thermomix Lamington Swiss roll is the perfect celebratory cake for Australia Day. It is so moist and tasty and lasts very well in the fridge for up to four days.
A couple of tips for handling Swiss rolls and how to make them perfect without cracks. First of all, make sure not to overwork the mixture. It is a genoise sponge and the batter is very delicate. As soon as it is combined, tip it onto the baking tray and spread out evenly. It is important not to have thin edges as they might brown too quickly and crisp up, which later on means you will get cracked edges. Once the cake is baked, immediately tip it over onto a fresh piece of greaseproof paper and remove the one stuck to the cake in the oven, otherwise it may stick to the cake too much and cause dents. Lastly, before the cake has a chance to cool you have to roll it up straight away within the new piece of greaseproof paper and cover it with a fresh tea towel. This will help shape the roll and also cool it down into position.
I hope you have a fabulous Australia Day and this recipe is inspiring for you. Leave me any comments if you have questions. Here is another great recipe for Australia Day.
Thermomix Lamington Swiss Roll
- 4 large eggs
- 115g golden (or white) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 250g raspberry or strawberry jam
- 500g double whipping cream
- 230g golden (or white) icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 20g unsalted butter
- 80g whole milk
- 150g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Line a large rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper. It should be at least 25x35cm if not larger.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Place the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract in the mixing bowl. Whisk 6 Min. / 37°C / Speed 4. Whisk again 6 Min. / Speed 4 (no temperature) without the measuring cup in place to help let out some steam.
- Carefully add the plain flour to either side of the whisk attachment along with the baking powder and salt and combine 4 Sec. / Speed 3. Remove the whisk attachment.
- At this stage you need to very carefully tip the mixture onto the prepared tray and spread out evenly to make a large rectangle. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, prepare another large sheet of greaseproof paper. Once the cake is baked, tip it upside down onto the prepared sheet and remove the greaseproof paper attached to the sponge from the oven. Carefully roll up the Swiss roll immediately beginning on one short end. Then wrap in a clean tea towel and place aside. It should be enclosed in the towel and rolled up nicely. It does not have to be rolled up tightly.
- In a clean mixing bowl, insert the whisk attachment and add the whipping cream. Whisk on Speed 4 until it is stiff. This could take anywhere from 20-45 seconds. Set aside.
- Once the roll is cooled (feel the towel, if it is still warm, then leave it for a bit longer) remove the towel and unroll the Swiss roll. Spread evenly with the jam, then top with the whipped cream. Roll it up again and place it seam side down onto a fresh piece of greaseproof paper. Cover it with a tea towel until later. Note: If it is very hot where you are, refrigerate it now because otherwise the cream might melt.
- To make the chocolate icing, place the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and whole milk in the cleaned mixing bowl. Melt 4 Min. / 50°C / Speed 1. Scrape down anything stuck to the blade and combine 20 Sec. / Speed 3.
- Place the desiccated coconut on a large baking tray.
- Using a brush, gently brush the cocoa icing over the roll until it is fully coated. Then roll it in the prepared coconut. Now you can coat the seam and also roll it in the coconut. Place the finished lamington roll onto a cake plate and either serve immediately or refrigerate before. Slice up and enjoy this beautiful Thermomix Lamington Swiss Roll!